Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bailiff regulation in the mush

I must confess that the workings of government sometimes distress me. Everybody knows that giving bailiffs a dedicated regulator, at least to begin with, would make for the best possible start. Instead, the government has decided to put bailiff regulation in with the Security Industry A uthority -- a failed Home Office regulator with an appalling track record that looks after bouncers and wheelclampers. Ah well, it just is not within the practice of the House of Lords to refuse half a loaf, and I shall just have to do my best at third reading to make sure that the government promises that the regulator will have the powers and functions that it needs to have. Not at all clear yet, but I have had some very helpful meetings with civil servants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home